Field
"Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical"
-Yogi Berra
It's that time of year! The World Series is underway, and the appropriate word "field" allowed me to capture a piece of America's greatest pastime. I do not at all claim to be a fanatic, but there is something about the sport I've come to like. The scenario I've depicted above reminds me of going to the park with my little brother and best friend to play ball. I've certainly blended my ideas of baseball and fictionalized the image with the full uniforms and the resemblance of fields in the background. Ultimately it has turned out to be a mix of my memories, professional baseball, and Field of Dreams.
I just got myself watercolor paint materials (and nicer paper), and was excited to try it out. I had many study pieces before reaching this one, and still have lots of room for improvement. I hope to work more watercolor into next week's work. In class Tony noticed that there is almost a dichotomy between the form of the players and the background of the sky and grass. I think this touches on a very natural tendency of mine that spans many of my works. I spent a lot of time making sure that the players' forms were correct and made sense, but let myself go when making the background. I can see the parallel between this and in my first work of the hand sketch for Touch, contrasts the outline with the palm lines. Even the works for Gather (the mother and child) and Reach (the sailboat) seem to form the opposite ends of that spectrum. What's interesting is that those two works are my favorite of my works this semester! Does that mean I should do more detailed work, or more freely flowing art? Or should my work continue to be a combination of the two (as Yogi Berra suggests)?

No comments:
Post a Comment