"Bridge (trust)"
When I used to draw as a young child, I liked to fill the entire page with doodles that were all related to some central idea happening. For example, I'd draw a large monster attacking a city and detail all of the little responses to this tragedy. That idea was in my head as I moved into the creation of my work for this week.
I spent the long weekend out in Anza-Borrego Desert (east of San Diego) with my Ecosystems of California class. I was utterly baffled by the landscape there. It is unlike anything else I have seen in person. The land is flat all around, but interrupted by grand, rocky mountains on three sides. The scraggles of vegetation are widely dispersed - they simply can't grow closer together due to the lack of water and nutrients. The air is dry and hot, yet free. With everything else going on in the world, this was the perfect place for me to be this weekend.
This drawing was meant to display a sort of whimsicalness that I remember from my childhood drawings. I also could not help but to depict this grandeur of the desert ecosystem. Sunrises and sunsets are particularly stunning. I am not sure which I am trying to show exactly. The building and the car are not at all necessary. They came from the desire to make a whimsical compilation, and they give a sense of "grounding" to reality. I had thought of drawing a human figure, but decided this would be catastrophic and likely make the piece too cheesy. I like the effects of the colored pencil I was able to create. It would be fun to explore this further in future works.
Now it's time to get back to reality.
No comments:
Post a Comment